STEWED BEEF – Bò kho
– 1 -> 1.5kg lean beef
– 200 -300g lemongrass
– 20g garlic, cloves, chopped
– 20g shallots (red onion), chopped
– 100g big chilli
– 2 tablespoons of tomato paste
– 5 -10g spicy for stewed beef
– 10g curry leaves
– 2 tablespoons of cashew oil
– a bulb of white onion, finally shredded
– 20g chopped of spring onion and coriander, chopped
– 1 kg of flat rice noodle
– 200g bean sprout and chives
– 20 -30g wheat flour
– 2 tablespoons of cooking oil
– 2- 4 tablespoons of salt
– 2- 4 tablespoons of sugar
– 2-3 tablespoons of beef powder
– ½ – 1 tablespoon of back pepper
– 2 carrots
– 5 -> 8 liters fresh water
– Beef meat: cut into bitesize cubes, then soak it in boiling water within 5 minutes, take it out and wash it clearly.
– Stalks of lemongrass: cut into 10cm in length.
– Carrot: peeled off and cut into thin, about 1 cm
– Heat oil, lemongrass, red onion, garlic and chilli in a pot. Stir-fry until they begin to colour and turn golden. Then add tomato paste, beef meat, spicy for stewed beef and stir about 2 -3 minutes with the low heat. After that, pour fresh water in a pot and just cover the face of meat about. And add curry leaves.
– Steamed and bring to the boil. Reduced the heat and cook gently for about 2 to 3 hours. When the beef is tender and the liquid has reduced, season to taste with sugar, salt, beef powder, pepper. Then add carrot and cashew oil.
– Transfer the stew to a serving dish and garnish with the sliced onion and coriander leaves.
– Serve hot with flat rice noodle, bean sprouts, and chives.
If you prefer to serve with bread: use a mixture of 2 teaspoons of cornstarch with 3 tablespoons of fresh water, then pour the mixture into a pot until it will be viscid. Then transfer it in a plate and serve with spring onion, white onion, coriander, pepper, a mixture between salt and chilli, lemon.