CARAMEL FISH IN CLAY POT – Cá kho tộ
– 100g fish, sliced 1 cm thickness
– 1 teaspoon of chopped shallot
– 1 teaspoon of chopped spring onion
– A baby chilli
– 1 tablespoon of fish sauce
– ½ teaspoon of chicken powder
– 2 teaspoons of sugar
– ½ teaspoon of ground pepper
– a cup of fresh water
– ½ tablespoon of cooking oil
– 1 – 2 teaspoons of caramel syrup
– 1 tablespoon of chopped spring onion (green part only) for garnish
– Caramel syrup: heat 1 tablespoon of cooking oil and 1 tablespoon of sugar in a pan. Stir until golden brown. Remove from the heat.
– Marinade: in a pan, marinate sliced fish with 1 tablespoon of fish sauce, ½ tablespoon of sugar, ½ tablespoon of cooking oil, ½ teaspoon of pork powder, ½ teaspoon of pepper, 1 teaspoon of spring onion and shallot, chilies and the caramel syrup. Leave it to absorb within 15 -30 minutes.
1. Stir occasionally until the sauce is dried up.
2. Then pour fresh water into the pot. Leave it to simmer until the sauce is reduced by half or thickens and the meat is cooked.
3. Garnish with a little ground pepper and chopped spring onions (green part) on the top.
4. To be served with the fresh or boiled vegetables and steamed rice.