VIETNAMESE SPRING ROLL – Chả giò
– 40g minced pork
– 30g crab meat
– 40g minced prawns
– 15g ear mushrooms
– 35 – 40g taro (replace by sweet potato or potato)
– ½ teaspoon of chicken powder
– 1 teaspoon of sugar
– ½ teaspoon of ground pepper
– 1 teaspoon of chopped shallot
– 1 teaspoon of chopped spring onion 1 – 2 teaspoons of egg yolk
– 3 – 4 pieces of rice paper or net rice paper (the rice paper should be covered by fresh banana leaves or cabbage 1 day before)
– Coconut juice or beer or mixture of fresh water and a little sugar. Or beer and a little sugar is the best one
– Cooking oil for deep-frying (soy oil or sunflower oil) Preparation:
– Dried ear mushroom: soak in warm water about 15 – 20 minutes. Drain. Discard the stems and chopped.
– Taro: peel off the skin, cut in julienne.
1. Stuffing: In a bowl, place pork, crab, prawn, taro and ear mushroom. Then add shallot, spring onion, sugar, chicken powder, pepper and egg yolk. And then mash them until they are combined well. (divide it into 3 or 4 parts which have the same size)
2. Spread a little coconut juice on the surface of the rice paper evenly (not too much). Fold the edge of the rice paper about 3 cm towards the center. Then place 1 part of stuffing on the space folded. Start folding the left and right side of the rice paper into the center. Then roll up tightly from the bottom edge away to the far end.
3. Deep-frying all of the spring rolls in a pan over low heat until golden brown.
4. To be served with lettuce, fragrant leaves, rice noodle and dipping fish sauce